While known for its memorials and monuments, fine dining and high culture, Arlington’s a wonderful place to take your sweetie.
Whether it’s casual or something serious, try some of these ideas for your next great date in Arlington:
- Impress your date by taking an impromptu trip around the world – and around Arlington – all without ever leaving Arlington’s Pentagon City. Start off at Pentagon Row, where the two of you can indulge with a multi-ethnic progressive dinner at places like Zen Bistro & Wine Bar, Lebanese Taverna, or Sine Irish Pub & Lounge. After you’ve experienced around the world, head down the street to the Skydome Lounge at the Doubletree Hotel Crystal City for dessert – complete with its revolving view of all of Arlington and beyond.
- Treat your better half to a Skate and Sip evening in Arlington’s Ballston neighborhood. First, enjoy the ice without ever having to step outside in the cold. At the top of the Ballston Quarter parking garage is Kettler Capitals Iceplex. Home to the Washington Capitals, there’s also plenty of time for public skating, so lace up those skates and chat as you glide across the ice hand in hand. Afterwards, warm up with a favorite libation. Like wine? Hop around the corner to Grand Cru Wine Bar & Bistro, where you can enjoy a glass or two along with some small plates (try the Napoleon of Ahi Tuna).
- Visitors may know about the maze of underground tunnels that traverse through Arlington’s Crystal City neighborhood, but what you may not know is that amidst “the Underground” is an extensive arts destination. Gallery Art Underground turned five blocks of Crystal City’s interior retail space into a vibrant arts and cultural destination with galleries, studios, interactive exhibits and activities, performance and classroom spaces, and a host of special events. After viewing artwork on display, discuss over dinner at one of Crystal City’s hotspot dining destinations attached to or just steps from the Underground. Try Italian fare from celebrity chef Morou at Kora, or sample the flavors of Spain with the tastes of Jose Andres’ Jaleo.
- The classic “dinner and a show” date is always one to impress (there’s a reason it’s a classic), and you can take it up a notch by pairing it all with the European flavor of Arlington’s Village at Shirlington. Start with dinner at Carlyle, a fun bistro that’s a neighborhood favorite. Follow that with a stroll through Shirlington for some excellent people-watching, and cap it all off with some of Broadway’s best with a show at the Tony Award-winning Signature Theatre.
- There’s really nothing better than casual coffee and conversation during a date, especially a first date, and Clarendon’s Northside Social Coffee & Wine Bar definitely fits the bill. Get to know each other and share some laughs over a cup of java. Afterwards, take a walk down the street for some live music.
- Few would disagree that there’s something romantic about that D.C. skyline, and one of the best places to enjoy the view with a classic cocktail is at Amuse at Le Meridien Arlington in Rosslyn. Check out the outdoor terrace if the weather’s nice and enjoy one of the signature cocktails or old standbys with a twist. Afterwards, continue the spectacular views with a stroll over to the nearby Marine Corps War Memorial (Iwo Jima).
- On a warmer day pack a picnic and enjoy the view from the Netherlands Carillon 50-bell tower, which plays an automated concert every day at noon and at 6 p.m. Grab your picnic fare and some Artisan Confections chocolates for dessert. Don’t forget your camera – it’s a great selfie-taking spot as well! And of course, these are just a few of the many ways you can romance your other half on any day of the year. Be sure to let us know your favorites around Arlington!