- Things to Do
- Restaurants & Nightlife
- Travel Planning
Internationally renowned singer-songwriter Sting takes the stage at Wolf Trap Farm Park Sept. 5 and 6, and we know just what he should do on a visit to Arlington.
Treat yourself to the same experiences and book now!
1) Eat Italian. Sting reportedly often enjoys eating sausages, particularly as part of a pasta dish. He can get his comfort food at Kora in Crystal City which serves trattoria style Italian fare. Created by Morou and Heather Ouattara, the restaurant offers a blend of contemporary Italian food with a modern elegance. Chef Morou, seen on Iron Chef America, prepares pappardelle with Italian sausage, sautéed mushrooms, Kalamata olives, fresh mozzarella cheese and marinara.
2) Protect watersheds. Sting started the Rainforest Foundation in 1989 with his wife Trudie Styler to protect the world’s rainforests and the indigenous people living there. So he might like a volunteer opportunity where he can get outside, engage with residents and even get a workout! Arlington citizens help protect our watersheds in regularly scheduled invasive plant removal at local parks.
3) Play chess. The Arlington Chess Club, the oldest chess club in the area, is a warm and friendly place to play or watch many of the region’s top players compete in a club environment. The club welcomes players at 7 p.m. Fridays in the basement of the Arlington Forest United Methodist Church at 4701 Arlington Blvd. Events are $1 to $9 per game.
4) Find truth & make it beautiful. A tour of Arlington is incomplete without gaining inspiration from the hallowed grounds of the National 9/11 Pentagon Memorial where 184 souls were lost on Sept. 11, 2001. The memorial, where you can get lost in your own thoughts, reaffirms the nation’s character as a nation of people drawn from every corner of the world. Visitors honor the memory of those lost by taking the time to come here and remember what happened on that day.
5) Enjoy a treat. Who doesn’t enjoy an ice cream cone now and then, especially musicians who make life sweet? Nicecream is a place for a sweet treat, with handcrafted ice cream combining grass-fed cream and local ingredients. Using liquid nitrogen, Nicecream freezes the ice cream on the spot in front of guests!
Despite Sting’s musicality, fame and fan-filled stadiums, actress Meryl Streep said at the Kennedy Center Honors in 2014, “he’s still sort of scowly. He’s still unsatisfied, restless, unsettled, gazing off to the side thinking what’s next, what’s next, what’s next, what don’t I know, what is left to discover?”
Sting, we know: Discover Arlington!
Author: Kathleen Murphy